Monday, February 18, 2008

L&A: 21

In the hallway, Neville encountered Archie, Richard and Lord Spencer, who were huddled around the door, awaiting word. “How are they?” Lord Spencer said, striding over to Neville.

He smiled. “They are fine. Lady Spencer had some trouble in the beginning, but she has delivered a fine baby girl. Mary.”

Lord Spencer closed his eyes and gave a deep sigh. “Thank God.” Richard clapped his father on the back and embraced him.

Archie came forward and shook Neville’s hand. “Excellent work.”

“Join me in the kitchen?” Archie nodded and led the way to the back of the house.

The scullery maid placed steaming bowls of soup with thick-cut bread before them, and two glasses of ale. Archie raised his glass. “To Lady Spencer and Mary.”

Neville nodded and the glasses clinked. “It was difficult,” he confided. “Mary was breach and I had to turn her. I thought—“ he took a deep draught of the beer. “I thought that I might not be able to.”

“But you did. You are skilled,” Archie said. “You did well in your training.”

“It was still difficult. The hardest birth I’ve ever seen.”

“Are the ladies all right?”

“Mary is fine. A hale and healthy girl.” He crumbled his bread into the soup.

“And Lady Spencer?”

Neville was quiet. “I’m worried. That was a hard labor for her. I will have to keep close watch on her to make sure she recovers well.”

“I’m sure she’ll be fine.”

Neville sighed. “I will do everything I can. I will stay here tonight to watch her.”

“Should I take the family back to the Manor? Do you need quiet?”

Neville shook his head. “No. But perhaps you could stay and try to keep the others out of the way? I know Edward and Richard want to see Lady Spencer, but she must rest.”

“We can go out riding, or something. Perhaps we’ll go to London for a day or two. Richard has not left home since he’s returned.”

“Where is Rose?”

“She’s gone to the Lennoxes’, to discuss wedding flowers. Lily said she couldn’t bear to be here.”

“How she’s going to have her own children, I have no idea,” Neville said sharply. “I’ve never seen a woman so squeamish about childbirth.”

“Rose is peculiar,” Archie said.

Neville snorted. “Peculiar. Very diplomatic. Odd, that one is. Her beauty is the only thing she has to recommend her.”

“It’s a powerful recommendation.”

“God, Archie, don’t tell me you’re in love with her, too.”

Archie laughed. “No. She recoils from me; she can hardly make herself sit to tea with us when I visit. I am sure Emma forces her to do it.”

“Rose’s manners are not the best,” Neville said. “Lennox must be desperate for a wife.”

“He’s a second son. He cannot afford to be too selective. Not many women would run off to India, anyway.”

“I am glad I have my own profession and do not have to sink to marrying a woman like Rose,” Neville said thoughtfully. “For all her beauty, she is cold. I cannot imagine her being a good mother—or a wife.”

“Lady Spencer hopes Mary will instill some motherly instinct in Rose before she is married.”

Neville drained his tankard. “I hope so, for Albert’s sake. There’s no point in working yourself to death for a fortune if there’s no one to bequeath it to.” He placed the glass on the table. “Still,” he mused. “I hope Mary fares better than her mother.”

“Is it that serious?”

Neville sighed. “It’s not clear. She must rest a good deal. It will be touch-and-go for a while. I am most afraid of her developing a fever and infection.”

“I will do what I can to help,” Archie said. “Whatever you need, that I can do, I will.”

“Thank you. I will need you to distract the family, most of all. I don’t need them all hanging about. And I certainly hope Lady Spencer does not become pregnant again.”

“She’ll be too old soon, won’t she?”

“I would think. But I don’t want to have to struggle through another birth again. Good God, they’ve got their four children, and an heir. They don’t need anything else. You would think she wants to rival Queen Victoria with her progeny.”

“Maybe Richard can marry Princess Beatrice,” Archie suggested, and Neville laughed.

“A coup, for sure.” He stood and stretched. “I will go check on Lady Spencer, and relieve Lily. Make sure she goes to sleep promptly. She’ll wear herself out, too, and I don’t need three patients.”

No comments: