Tuesday, January 22, 2008

L&A: 19

For a few days after the ball, Neville spoke little to Archie. While this was not, in itself, unusual, since the two had little in common and Neville was often preoccupied with his practice, Archie detected a certain avoidance on his younger brother’s part. Even at meals, he was reticent and spoke only when it was required.

After several days of this, Archie decided he had enough. Neville was unbearable when he was brooding.

“How is Lady Spencer?” Archie asked at lunch that day. Neville had just returned from his daily visit.

Neville shrugged as he took some ham from the platter. “She’s ready to give birth any day. Quite uncomfortable. And I think the baby is still breach.”

“That’s cause for concern, isn’t it?”

He nodded. “It is.”

Silence passed as they ate. Then Archie asked, “And how is the rest of the family?”

Silence.

“Neville?”

“You should know that better than I,” he said sharply. “You’re there as often, if not more, than I am.”

“I have business with Lord Spencer. Of course I should be there.”

“And your business with Lily?”

Archie was surprised. He didn’t think Neville had noticed. “What business?”

“Don’t be coy, Archie. You’re courting her. Openly. Everyone seems to know but me.”

“How do you know? We haven’t made it public.”

“I saw you—and her—at the ball. You kissed her.”

“We didn’t know anyone was there!”

“Why didn’t you tell me, Archie? Did you think you could keep it a secret until your wedding day? ‘Oh, by the way, Neville, old boy, I’m getting married today.’” Neville’s voice was sharp and caustic.

“What is your objection? Why should you concern yourself?”

He couldn’t bring himself to say that he loved her. It would be too humiliating.

“You should have told me,” he said. “I am sure all the Spencers know.”

“Richard is our chaperone. And I had to ask Lord Spencer’s permission. So yes, they know. But no one else.”

Neville swallowed hard, trying to keep his emotions in check. “And you will marry her?”

Archie nodded. “As soon as Lady Spencer is recovered, I plan to propose. We do not want to interfere with Rose and Albert’s wedding, of course. Lily is content to wait.”

Neville stared at his plate. Lily married to his brother! It could hardly be borne.

“And…you will live here?”

“Of course. The Manor needs a mistress.” Archie sipped his coffee. “Oh, Neville, don’t worry. We won’t turn you out, if you wish to stay.”

Neville bristled at this. “It’s your house, Archie. I cannot imagine Lily would want me hanging about.”

“Why not? It’s a big enough house for all of us—and the children, once we have them. She does want children.”

“And you?” Archie had never been comfortable around them.

“I want what she wants,” he said simply. “An heir is, of course, desirable. But I think it might be nice to have some children around the place.”

Neville nodded. “We shall see. As you know, I may go to London.”

“Of course, Neville. You are free to do as you please, you know.”

“I know.” He stood, wiping his mouth with his napkin. “Are you for the Spencers’?”

Archie shook his head. “Lily has much to do to prepare for the baby. And I have to make a survey of the grounds.”

Neville nodded curtly. “I shall order dinner, then.” He stood and abruptly left the room, leaving Archie alone.

No comments: